Thursday, April 9, 2009

Nothin' but Nothin' (and some pictures)



I am an insomniac.
This is nothing new, I have struggled with this off and on for the past 20 years or so of my life. Usually it kind of goes in phases: lasts a couple weeks then goes away. But I find as I get older (and entering that lovely pre-menopausal stage of my life [yes, yes, I know I'm old only 44 but it's happening nonetheless...]) the sleepless stages last longer and longer. Lately I've been having to drug myself a couple nights a week just to get a few measly hours.
Of course it doesn't help that I have a cat who likes to take showers in the middle of the night (no, sadly, I'm not joking) and because he can't reach the shower knob ('cause of course, even stretched out he's only about 2 1/2 ft tall...long?) so he slams doors and yowls and hollers until someone gets up and turns on the water. He has been known to do this sometimes 3 or 4 times a night.
(And no, we can't put him outside because he is declawed (I know, I know) and we have lots of coyotes and owls in our area and I do not want him becoming a late night snack.)

Hubs sleeps thru it all takes turns with me when he can. I get up in the middle of the night most of the time because he is a very sound sleeper (lucky duck). He usually is the one to get up around 430 or so, however, if/when that darn cat starts up again or decides he's hungry, or wants in the garage or whatever he thinks he needs. He is a very demanding little critter. Kind of like a 4 year old I'm guessing.

The cat. Not the husband.

Anyway, the point of this is that last night when I was laying awake for hours and hours I had this great idea for a post today.
Except now I can't remember what it was to save my life.
And no, it wasn't about skinning cats.
Although I thought about it...
Not really.

So instead you get some lovely pictures my dad took. So it's not all bad.
I believe these were taken in The Dalles, OR when the folks took their recent trip here to visit. I added some filters via the Pioneer Woman's "action sets". (Thanks PW and Totally Rad Actions).



ps> Just in case you think I'm telling a tall tale, here's a picture of the suspect brat cat I'm talking about. He walks in there, meows and then paws at the back of the shower until you turn it on, just slightly, so the water drips on him and gets him soaked. Then he jumps out and goes in the closet and takes a tongue bath to dry off. He's so weird.


8 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the lack of sleep. Sometimes my dog has nightmares and barks in her sleep. My husband doesn't believe me but that would be because he is busy sleeping (and snoring).

    Hope you get some rest. Then you'll remember what you were going to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least your husband doesn't bark in his sleep! (although snoring is almost as bad... I'm with you on that one!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry about your constantly interrupted sleep...and I love the photos!

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    :^) Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous photos. I also rarely sleep through the night--last night was no exception. Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos. You have a real gift of expressing yourself with words. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud at your description of having to get up and turn on the shower for your cat. THAT is too funny!!

    I'm an insomniac too and it drives me crazy. I do a lot of reading...and laying awake worrying.

    when are you going to start those glass pendants? I can't wait to order mine!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty pics! I love the PW Actions, if only I could take a photo worthy of their application.

    About the cat - have you considered a little kitty shower for her? Maybe one with an Easy button that turns on a mini-shower?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to find a "kitty shower" for him! We tried getting him a kitty drinking fountain thinking he'd be happy with the running water, but he completely ignored it.

    And Ms Midlife, I am merely waiting on supplies...:) I assume you want one of you know what?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cat sounds hilarious! What a nut. Thanks for sharing the story and stopping by yesterday. I love stories about our pets :).

    ReplyDelete

Grab a cup of coffee and sit down.
Stay a while.
Share a thought or two...